Most people think that acne is a skin problem that only happens during their puberty, but acne can also happen to adults and even cause more problems and issues. If you constantly battle out with acne – even to your adult years – you really need to think about your lifestyle and what you have done wrong. Acne is rarely caused by a single cause only. Often times it is the result of combination of things that you unconsciously done on daily basis. If you want to fight off the problem once and for all, you need to really look into your daily habits and be honest about it.
Acne is the condition where the pores of your skin being clogged, causing debris to pile up. Not to mention that bacterial infestation and excessive oil will aggravate the issue. Our body has its natural oil glands that are responsible to moisturize itself. However, sometimes the production can be excessive, and that’s when things start to get out of hand. The mixture of sweat, oil, dirt from the polluted surrounding, and grime can cause serious clogged issue for the pores. When the pores are clogged, the dirt stuck there can’t go anywhere. Sometimes these clogged pore are covered in white skin layers, sometimes they aren’t. If it is covered in white layer, it becomes acne or pimple. When the skin layer doesn’t cover it, the point of the acne becomes black, and that’s when you call it blackhead.
When there is a bacterial infestation, everything will get worse. The clogged pore may be infected and inflamed, and you start experiencing redness, discomfort, or even pain. Acne mostly affects the appearance, resulting in low self-confidence and self esteem. That’s why there are facial treatments for acne, so the problem can be solved thoroughly and hopefully it won’t come back again.
Understanding the Cause
Like it was said before, often times the causes are combination of the things you do – or not do. Hormonal changes, stress, consuming a certain medication, poor hygiene habit, cosmetic usages, are just some of the main causes that result in acne breakout. You need to work together with your dermatologist to understand the real and exact cause to your issue, and then you can come up with the best and right treatment.
If you have poor hygiene routine, it is time to break them. You don’t necessarily have to use products to keep the acne at bay. Just make sure that you wash your face twice a day and you can be safe from acne. Remember, acne is the result of dirt, grime, sweat, and oil mixed up together and clogging the skin pores, so when you wash your face, you remove all those dirty mixtures and keep your face clean. Here are some tips in washing your face on daily basis:
- Make sure to do it only twice a day; no more and no less. The body – face, especially – requires oil to moisturize it. If you wash your face too often, the oil will be stripped, resulting in dry oil condition.
- Make sure to use cool or warm water – not hot water. Warm water is enough to open the pores, making sure that there is no dirt stuck between them.
- Use mild soap. If you have sensitive skin, use a product that goes along with your skin condition. Soap for the body is too harsh for the face because your body and your face have different pH level. When you wash your face, make sure to use the appropriate soap.
- Use the hands in gentle circular motion. If you want to, you can use cleansing brush or baby washcloth, which is gentler and softer than the regular washcloth.
- Cleanse the face thoroughly and use soft facial towel to dry it off. Make sure to pat your face, instead of rubbing it, to avoid dryness and harsh skin condition.
- Make sure to use cleansers. Good cleansers that suit your skin type won’t only remove the make-up or dirt, but allows other skin products to work better by reaching your skin surface and underneath layers in maximizing result. A good and gentle cleanser won’t strip off important substances – like oil – from the face, but it will make sure that it protects your skin as well as cleansing off the mixture of dirt and grime.
- Use skin-friendly cosmetics. If you do have to wear cosmetics on daily basis, make sure to use the water-based one – not the oil based one. You have enough oil to moisturize yourself, so why should you add up more? But if you have dry skin type, choose the oil-based make-up since your body doesn’t produce enough oil to provide proper moisturizer. Let your skin breathe for once, so when you don’t have to wear cosmetics, just go natural and don’t cover your face with anything. Also make sure that you remove the make-up as soon as you get home and before going to bed. Going to bed with your make-up still on is a big no-no. Not only you will deal with acne, you will have to deal with early aging.
- Talk to your doctor and ask them about the right medication. If your issue is quite mild, you may be suggested to apply a certain lotion or cream with benzoyl peroxide to combat the acne. Be careful with benzoyl peroxide, however, and be sure to use them according to your doctor’s suggestion. It is good to combat acne, but when you use it excessively, it can lead to dry skin.
- Never ever think about popping the acne. Your hand is the home of many bacteria. When you pop the acne, not only you will aggravate the issue, you will also transfer those millions of bacteria to the open wound. You can imagine what’s going to happen next, can’t you? So, let the acne be and simply treat it according to your doctor’s advice, and you won’t have to suffer from it again.